If you’re at a work event or tradeshow and find yourself pinning on, sticking on, or hanging a name tag over your head, here’s how to do it right:
- A stick-on or pin-on name tag should be worn about four inches below your shoulder, on your right side. This way it will be visible to people when shaking hands during an introduction.
- When viewing someone’s name tag, glance at it. Don’t stare at if for a long period of time.
- “Mr.” or “Mrs.” or “Ms.” should not be written on a tag but it is permissible to include “Dr.”
- At business events (not at the evening party) it is a good idea to add your title under your name. And if the event includes people from many companies, add your company name, too.
- If you are writing out your own tag, print it and write your name legibly.
Enjoy the opportunity to expand your network!